C1st Awards $2,000 ICUF Warren A. Morrow Scholarship to Rylie Johnson

posted on Tuesday, May 12, 2020 in Announcements

Rylie Johnson

Rylie Johnson of Unionville was awarded a $2,000 Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship in the Iowa Credit Union Foundation’s 2020 scholarship essay competition. The award was presented by Community 1st Credit Union Bloomfield branch manager Angela Shipley.

The ICUF awards 12 Morrow scholarships totaling $23,000. Johnson was one of four, post-high-school recipients. Eight scholarships were awarded to high school graduating seniors. More than 350 scholarship essay applications were received. The 500-word essays addressed how the students and their credit union demonstrate the Iowa credit union “people helping people” philosophy.

To begin her essay, Johnson cited an Anne Frank quote:  “No one has become poor by giving.” She wrote about C1st’s involvement in the community and support of young people through scholarships and community event activities. Her own sense of community came from 4-H service, helping neighbors and volunteering with local efforts.

“”I believe that growing up in a small, rural town is one of the best ways to learn how to support one another,” she wrote. “When I sold my first calf, I was so excited to start my very own savings account and C1st was so happy to help an eager, young girl like me.

She will be a second-year student at Northwest Missouri State University in the fall.

“The mission of the ICUF is to empower people and communities to achieve financial well-being by championing the credit union philosophy of people helping people,” said Jaimie Miller, ICUF executive director. “We do this through critical programs such as the Warren A. Morrow Memorial Scholarship.”

In addition to the state ICUF scholarships, Community 1st Credit Union will award $42,000 in continuing education scholarships to 22 area high school graduates and college students this spring.