On Wednesday, February 20, from 9:00 AM – 9:20 AM, Community 1st Credit Union will be performing system maintenance. During this short time frame, ALL C1st VISA Debit Cards & ATMs will be unavailable. All transactions will be declined during this time frame. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Identity theft is nothing new, and yet it still manages to cost its victims billions of dollars (yes, that’s billions with a “b”) globally each year—not to mention the time and hassle involved in recovering a stolen identity.
The good news is that there are tons of things you can do to deter identity thieves. The bad news is that many of us do little beyond choosing a decent password—and some people don’t even bother doing that! Here are the top 5 information jackpots for identity thieves, along with helpful tips on what you can do right now to protect yourself.
1. Your Trash CanEven if you’re really careful about the information you put online, your trash bags and recycling bin can still be an easy target for identity thieves. Dumpster diving may sound old school, but it’s still an easy way for identity thieves to get access to your personal information.
2. Your PhoneOdds are that you’re carrying a lot more in your phone than just your contact list. With smartphone theft on the rise, protect yourself:
3. The PIN PadIt seems like every few months a new point-of-purchase scheme emerges—skimming devices, keystroke loggers, ATM hacking… the list goes on! Here are some good practices for when you’re out and about:
4. Your MailboxLike the trash-picker approach mentioned above, mail tampering is a low-tech but relatively easy way for identity thieves to compromise your personal information. Here’s what you can do:
5. Your ComputerYou would think that this one would be common knowledge by now, but every so often a virus or scam comes along that trips us up. Stay one step ahead of scammers:
By being aware of the top 5 information jackpots and by implementing these simple strategies, you can keep identity thieves at bay.
<<<Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
Visit our Blog!
Stay connected with C1st by subscribing to our blog, featuring news, events, articles and more!