Holiday Fun for Families
posted on Monday, December 7, 2020 in Fun Stuff
‘Tis the season for holiday fun! There’s so much fun to be had during the holiday season, ranging from baking inside all day, spending time with family and friends, eating til we have bellyaches (but of course going back for seconds!), watching our favorite movies, and so much more.
However, the holidays are going to look at different this year due to the global pandemic, which has impacted all of us in significant ways. We might have realized that the holidays aren’t going to be the same as they have been in the past and we may have wondered, ‘Is there even any fun to be had?’.
There is still fun to be had, however, we just have to get more creative than we have in the past! This year, while exercising our creative minds, we’re trying to stay safe during unknown times.
What is there to do during this holiday season? Don’t fret! We’ve put on our red hats, similar to that of Santa’s, to allow for thinking and creativity of how we can still have fun this 2020 holiday season:
- Watch a movie marathon. What are the holidays without spending an afternoon watching your favorite holiday movie? Although the holidays can sometimes get stressful, as The Griswold’s (National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie) have shown us, take a day to kick back and relax!
- Bake, bake, bake! Spending the day in the kitchen is sure to get one in the holiday spirit. Whether you’re prepping for a turkey, making cookies that melt in your mouth, or making your favorite holiday meal, we sooner or later start to feel the holiday cheer!
- Deck the halls! However you choose to decorate for the holidays, whether that’s by “decking” your whole entire house with holiday decorations or keeping it simple, remember to add your own personal touch.
- Look at holiday lights. As a kid, I remember every year my parents and I would drive around town looking at holiday lights and thinking how magical this was, plus this always made me feel the magic of the holiday spirit. This is still one of my favorite things to do during the holidays to this day. There’s no better way to spread joy than by neighbors putting up holiday lights and decorations!
- Make an ornament. Put your activity hat on by making ornaments for your tree or for someone else’s! If you need some help bringing out the crafty side of you, research easy do-it-yourself (DIY) ornaments.
- Chop down your own holiday tree. If you decide to take a different route this year and opt to get your own tree, don’t forget your saw, otherwise you might find yourself in the same situation as Clark Griswold (National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation movie).
- Build a gingerbread house. There’s nothing that says ‘here come the holidays!’ quite like the house being filled with the smell of gingerbread and a table ready for home construction.
- Make paper snowflakes. This is an activity for the whole family and a great opportunity to see who has a knack for making paper snowflakes! Hang them from the tree, decorate the presents with them, or even put them in the window to show off your paper snowflake-making skills!
- Do a random act of kindness. We all know how stressful the holidays can be, especially this year during such trying times we’ve been faced with during a global pandemic. Big or small, all acts of kindness go a long ways, especially during the holidays. The holidays are about giving to others who might not have the same opportunities as you.
- Start a new tradition. During a year that’s challenged us and thrown adversity our way, we might not be able to carry out the same holiday traditions as the previous years. Start a new tradition that will be carried on throughout the years – you and your family will remember that this new tradition exists because of the year 2020.
I wish you all a safe, healthy, and happy holidays! Remember to enjoy yourselves!