Nishna Valley Credit Union Merger FAQ's
posted on Friday, October 1, 2021 in Announcements
It’s official! Members of Nishna Valley Credit Union have officially merged with Community 1st Credit Union as of October 1, 2021.
Here is our complete list of details and FAQs about the merger. Don’t see an answer you’re looking for? Click here to send us your question.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Merger FAQs
- Where can I find up-to-date information regarding the merger?
- When will the merger take place?
Nishna Valley CU will merge with Community 1st Credit Union on Friday, October 1, 2021.
- When will the system conversion take place?
The system conversion will start on Wednesday, September 29, 2021. We anticipate all normal activity will resume on Friday, October 1, 2021.
- The Atlantic and Creston locations will close Wednesday, September 29th and Thursday, September 30th. They will re-open normal business hours on Friday, October 1. During this time, online and telephone banking will be unavailable.
- Please be prepared and have alternative payment methods available, including cash, credit cards and checks. ATMs will be in service, and you can still use your debit card, however, transaction limits will apply.
- Please note that balances displayed during conversion will reflect funds as of September 28th.
- Do I need to do anything to become a member of C1st?
No. You will automatically become a member on October 1, 2021.
- Will my member number and account numbers change?
Yes. Your member number, account number(s), and routing number will change.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, our timeline to send your 14-digit Community 1st Credit Union MICR account numbers to you has been delayed. We’ll be sending your account numbers for your savings, checking, etc. the first week of October.
You will receive a letter with your new member account number and routing number before October 1st.
- Will the Atlantic and Creston branch facilities remain open after the merger?
YES! Both branches will continue to operate as always, only with even more products and services to offer! Also, as a member of C1st, you will have access to 18 additional full-service branches.
- Where are the Community 1st Credit Union branches located?
- Will our current hours be changing?
Yes, the hours will be changing for both the Atlantic and Creston locations on October 1st:
- Monday – Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- When can I begin using the C1st branches?
NVCU members can begin using the C1st branches on Friday, October 1st.
- I’m interested in a career at Community 1st Credit Union. How do I apply?
Whether you are starting your career or searching for professional growth opportunities, C1st might have an opportunity for you. Join a team that has been recognized as one of the top workplaces in Iowa. Go to www.c1stcu.com/careers to view open positions & apply online.
Checking & Debit Cards
- Will I need a new NVCU Debit Card?
Yes, existing debit cards will not work after September 30, 2021. You will be issued a new C1st Debit Card that will arrive in the mail by the end of September. Please keep an eye out for it, as these are often mailed in plain envelopes. If you don’t have your new card by September 30, please call C1st at 866.360.5370. The new debit cards are to be activated on or after October 1st. The new debit cards will include a phone number to call and activate the card.
- Will I need a new NVCU ATM Card?
If you currently have a NVCU ATM Card (providing ATM access to your Savings only), it will be deactivated on September 30th. C1st does not issue ATM cards. If you would like to order a C1st debit card, please stop by your local branch on or after October 1st to discuss checking account options.
- When will I receive my new debit card?
Your C1st debit card will arrive in the mail by September 30. Please keep an eye out for it, as these are often mailed in plain envelopes. You will need to activate this card and can begin using it on October 1st. Your Nishna Valley CU card will be deactivated on September 30th.
- Will the recurring transactions set up with my NVCU debit card still work?
Any recurring payments that are set up on current debit cards will have to be re-established to include the newly issued debit card information.
- Will I still be able to use my debit card at the current ATMs located in NVCU’s locations in Creston and Atlantic?
Yes. In addition, you will continue to have access to 1,300 Privileged Status ATMs in Iowa without a surcharge.
- Do I need to order new checks?
Your NVCU checks will continue clearing for 6 months post-conversion. After October 1, 2021, please bring in your NVCU checks to the Atlantic or Creston locations for shredding, at which time we’ll order you one FREE box of C1st basic checks. This offer ends on April 1, 2022.
- What should I do with my automatic payments set up to come out of my NVCU checking account? Or direct deposits (i.e. paycheck, pension, Social Security) that go into my NVCU account?
Your direct deposits/automatic payments will transfer automatically from your Nishna Valley accounts to Community 1st. When you receive your 14-digit MICR account letter the beginning of October, please notify the companies and update your information. Give them your new 14-digit Community 1st Credit Union account number and routing number. Community 1st Credit Union routing number: 273975726. If your employer or depositor needs an official direct deposit document with your new deposit information, we will be happy to provide that to you by calling or emailing us.
- Do I have access to a digital wallet (Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay, Garmin Pay) with my C1st Debit Card?
Yes. Use your C1st debit card with a supported device to make purchases easy. With a quick tap of your phone, you can use your debit card to pay at over one million merchants.
- What can I do to prepare for the merger?
If you use online banking and/or bill pay, we suggest completing the following items to prepare for the merger:
- Download your 2021 statements for quick reference.
- Download a copy of your bill pay payees
- Download a copy of all current and future scheduled payments for your records.
- Schedule any time-sensitive bill payments and online transactions prior to 5:00 pm on September 28, 2021.
- Will I have to set up a new Login ID/Password for digital banking?
Yes, on or after October 1, you will create a new Login ID/Password. Please contact C1st at 866.360.5370 or email email@example.com and a C1st Representative can assist you.
- Will I have access to a mobile app?
Yes, getting started is easy. Simply download the new app by searching “Community 1st CU” in the app store on or after October 1. There are many services available on our app, including Apple Watch, Text Banking, Mobile Deposit, Loan Payments, Pay a Member (C1st Accounts), BillPayer, Statements, and so much more!
- Will I have access to my current Bill Pay information?
No. Unfortunately, your payees and history will not carry over to our online BillPayer system. You will want to download your payee information and history through bill pay prior to September 28th.
- Can I still use my current bill pay system to pay bills?
The last day to pay bills through your current bill pay system will be on September 28. It’s important to look at what bills you have setup for payment and update accordingly prior to September 28.
- How do I enroll in the new BillPayer system on or after October 1?
After setting up a new Login ID/Password for digital banking, click on ‘Manage Money’, then select ‘Pay Bills’.
- Will my current loans with NVCU change?
The rate and term of your loan will not change. Your loan account number will change.
- How will I make my current loan payment?
C1st has several convenient options to make your loan payment:
- Digital Banking Transfer – to make a loan payment from a C1st account, simply transfer the funds using digital banking.
- Cross-Member Transfer – pay your credit union loans with funds located in a separate C1st membership! We can set up cross-member transfers in digital banking.
- Payroll Deduction – have your payment automatically deducted from your direct deposit.
- ACH Debit Payment – set up preauthorized monthly payments from your account at another financial institution.
- One-Time Payment – to make a one-time payment from another financial institution or credit card*, visit our Online Payment Center.
- You can stop by any of the Community 1st Credit Union branches on or after October 1st and make a loan payment. Or, send payment to the following address:
- Community 1st Credit Union
P.O. Box 737
Ottumwa, IA 52501
*Does not include Visa credit cards. Cards that are available for payments include: Visa debit card, Mastercard credit and debit cards, and Discover cards.
Additional Products & Services